Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Vintage Fabric Heat/Ice Pack

I have collected a massive amount of beautiful vintage sheets and pillow cases. A couple of years ago I made these "rice ice" packs, as our family calls them. I have a new friend that I wanted to make one for, but take it up a notch by using perfect vintage fabric! These don't get any easier. I am a VERY basic seamstress, and these are a breeze even for me. We keep ours in the freezer at all times so that we have "ice" ready at all times. 
Simply cut two identical pieces of fabric in the size that you want. Pin or hold them, right sides together and sew along three sides. Turn inside out and fill 3/4 of the way full of plain, dried rice. This is great to buy in the bulk section! Turn the open ends in, pin along the edge, and stitch! Ta da!

I found a poem on a message board to go along with the gift, and printed it up on a cute blue mason jar using my Silhouette software. I also made mini versions as tiny hand warmers! I'm going to make some hand warmers for my girls before our Christmas parade on Monday! 

1 comment:

  1. Hi there, Jaime! I stumbled across your blog by first finding you on Etsy. I always love finding other local bloggers! I have a personal blog (www.robandcan.blogspot.com) but have more recently joined forces with a friend on www.citrusandcream.com. We're all about connecting locally and featuring local shops! Come check us out! And looking forward to seeing more of your crafty creations :)

    ReplyDelete