Saturday, September 3, 2011

Taste of Orange Blossom {Baked Triggerfish with Crabcake and Coconut Cream}

The special last night was something I'd never heard of...triggerfish. I bet you're scratching your head too. I'll get to the fish in a minute. First things first! The special salad last night was Avocado Salad with Watermelon Sorbet and Champagne Vinaigrette Dressing! This salad does one flavorful dance in your mouth! The watermelon sorbet is not what you'd expect, it has a bit of a twist to it. I love how many goodies come on this salad, and this dressing is one of my favorites! Every thing about this salad make your taste buds do the happy dance.Since we both ordered specials, one of us tried the soup, and one of us tried the salad...and then we shared (of course!). The soup was Cream of Broccoli & Potato with Cheese and Croutons. This kind of soup is so good...creamy, with big pieces of potato, and topped with homemade croutons! Yum!

We were super lucky last night and Chef George sent us out the special appetizer, Pork Cakes with Spicy Schezuan Sauce! This was our first time trying these and they were SOOO yummy! The pork was really tender, and the sauce gave them that extra kick. I loved the extra crunchy breading! These were delicious! Thanks George!

Here's what you've been waiting for! Baked Triggerfish & Crab Cake with Coconut Cream. I had never heard of triggerfish so I got a crash course! It is a tropical, deep water fish that is wild-caught. (NOT farm raised? Sounding good already!) It is a delicate white, flaky fillet with a mild buttery flavor and a medium-firm texture. I thought it was delicious, and that it was paired perfectly with the coconut cream. The only thing that could have made it better if I was ON the tropical island while I was eating it. ;)

It came with Parmesan Polenta, Spaghetti Squash, Broccoli, and Garlic Bread. I loved ALL of these sides! The parmesan polenta is a absolute favorite of ours! It's a good thing we both got it last night, otherwise there would have been fork wars going on at our table!

One of the special desserts was Chocolate Ganache with Marinated Strawberries and Bourbon Vanilla Ice Cream. We all know chocolate and strawberries are a natural pair, but I love that they top it with homemade vanilla that balances out the richness of the ganache. It was SO yummy! I'm pretty sure formal food reviewers don't use words like "yummy" and "fork wars" but I do! ;)

Check out the latest at OBJ, here! There are concerts coming up... date night anyone? AND if you're on the e-mail list, you know that this week they did away with pre-formed patties on their burger! They now grind their own meat and form them by hand! If you wanna know another secret, they buy their burger buns from Fresno! That's a long way to go for one ingredient, so you KNOW they care about quality! ;) Sign up for the mailing list on their website or you'll miss out!

No comments:

Post a Comment