Monday, March 19, 2012

Spindle Gallery

Last week, I made something out of some spindles I bought at a antique store. I'm a sucker for salvaged, chippy pieces.
I used some extra 2x2's that were hangin' out in my garage. First, I painted two coats of Valspar Green River. After that dried, I whitewashed them with some acrylic white paint. Last, I sanded the edges, and wiped on some antique glaze.
You're left with wood that shows all three colors: green, white, and black. I was winging it, not really knowing WHAT I wanted, but knowing I wanted it to look worn to match the super worn spindles.
I pre-drilled the holes at an angle to prevent splitting, then used long screws. Last, I used a staple gun to attach chicken wire to the back.

It turned out pretty good! I wasn't originally planning on making it this wide, but I was too lazy to get out my saw and cut the 2x2's. ;) My gallery wall needed changed anyways, it's been the same since we moved in about 5-6 years ago!

No comments:

Post a Comment