Thursday, May 20, 2010

PW Glazed Doughnuts..oh yes, I did!

So growing up in Ohio, I was raised on the real Krispy Kreme. I'm talking green and orange laminate countertops, circa 1960 and everything. It would take a miracle to beat those, but these are pretty wonderful, and not hard at all, just a kinda messy. Totally worth it, especially if you get to eat them warm, right after the glaze has hardened. Note to self, do not cover them up with foil overnight! They will look a little sad in the morning!I mixed the dough the day before I actually fried them. You are supposed to cool your dough for at least 8 hours or overnight. I did mine about 24 hours and it was fine. When I was ready, I rolled it out on my baking mat and got a little creative with my cutters, because I didn't have a biscuit cutter or the mini cutter. I ended up using a plastic cup of the girls that was the right size and the skinny opening of a bottle of red wine vinegar that I had just washed to save. (I am a glass jar hoarder =) It ended up working perfectly. I did have to break down and buy a candy thermometer because oil temp is key here.


Here they are, all risen and beautiful. My house totally smelled like Krispy Kreme, before I even cooked them! I cut them out, went to get my hair dyed and when I came home they were all ready to cook.

I TRY not to let all of this oil bother me....notice I said "cook" instead of "fry".

This is the SUPER easy glaze...you should already have these ingredients laying around and it is perfect!

The glaze hardens in just a few minutes, and the next time I make them, I will dip the bottom half too, even though the recipe doesn't call for it. I REALLY like the glaze. Snag the recipe over here...http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2010/02/homemade-glazed-doughnuts/

No comments:

Post a Comment