Sunday, February 5, 2012

My Most Prized Possession

I've been kicking around the desire to do some blogging about my dad. I can't believe it, but next month will be 1 year without him. It's unbelievable to me that he's gone, but gone for almost a year?? Not possible.

For some reason, the other day I was letting myself relive the memories of the day I found out. I try not to think about it because it makes the anxiety start to creep in, and I certainly don't want to relive THAT... or my limbs going numb again. It took a few months for my physical symptoms of the pain to go away. What's left behind is a never-ending longing.

I thought maybe it might be therapeutic to blog about him every once in a while. It kills me that he only had 7 years of being a grandfather. He was the BEST one my girls could ask for.

This is my most prized possession on earth...my dad's old drill bit box. When I was in elementary school, my parents completely remodeled our old house so that they could sell it for a higher price. When I say remodel, I mean the only thing that stayed the same was the shell of the house. Everything internal was gutted, room by room. Throughout the process, even at a young age, I learned a lot. I LOVED demolition days, when we'd be allowed to bust the plaster walls down with hammers.
I've said it before, but my dad could do ANYTHING. I'll share more in future posts, but there was literally nothing he couldn't figure out if he tried hard enough. My husband recently made me realize how much he is like my dad in this way. The speedometer and temp gauge weren't working on our Yukon, and the dealership wanted over $500 to install all new motors in the gauge panel. They said you HAD to replace all of them. Well, Brandon did some searching online and found out that you can replace them individually, and instead of the over $300 price tag to order them from the dealer, they only cost $27 to order online. He ended up getting them from a friend that works at a car dealership, and guess what...he got TWO for $27 and changed them within 30 minutes himself. That is TOTALLY my dad!

I remember this drill bit box from when I was little. It used to have a clear lid that was attached to that hinge. My mom sent this to me after he died and she went through all of his tools. I'm sure she was just thinking that I would use it a lot since I'm always working on something, which is true, but I don't think she knew how much I would treasure it. LOVE your loved ones while you've got them. It'll "never happen to you" until it HAPPENS to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment