Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Upcycled Tray! {Old cabinet door}

My friend sent me a link to a blog post a couple of months ago on how to turn an old cabinet door into a tray! Of course, now I can't find the link in my saved file or bookmarks, so I'm just gonna show you how to do it... Start out with a cabinet door. This one was dark {not pretty, think ugly 70's style finish} wood and I bought it for 2 or 3 dollars at ReStore. They have a big pile of cabinet doors. The only thing is a lot of doors are not symmetrical and they would look funny as a tray. Do you know what I mean? They have a scalloped design on the what would be the top part of the cabinet if you were looking at it vertically, the way it's meant to be.

I also found two matching handles for fifty cents each at ReStore. They have a few little bins full of knobs and pulls to dig through.

I liked these black, hammered ones.

Simply screw in your handles on each side. Mine also had a hole in the center where I had to remove an existing knob when I bought it.

I used my Silhouette to cut out some black vinyl, which covers the hole and jazzes it up. :) I can change the vinyl easily to fit different occasions/parties. Total cost= about $4!

1 comment:

  1. Very nice! I made a trip to my local ReStore a few weeks ago and came home with a trunkful of cabinet doors. Now I need to get to work turning them into something fabulous.

    ReplyDelete