Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Beginnings and Ends

Today is the end of my journey here in Ohio, and it is also the beginning of my dad's journey through colon cancer. As I type this, I am packed up ready for Shannon to take me to lunch (White House, of course!) and the airport. I had to say goodbye to my dad this morning at the hospital. I had a great trip, all things considering. God definetely made the best out of a bad situation. My cousin Jason got married on Saturday, so I was able to attend that. It also meant that I was able to see almost my entire family that had flown or drove in from out of town to go to the wedding. My grandma and aunt from Kentucky had driven up to be there for my dad's surgery yesterday so I got to see them. I never thought I would be able to see my grandma again so this was a huge blessing to me. I never thought I would have to answer to "JaimeLynn" ever again, but it sure was nice to hear that. I had forgotten the southern accent and the things she says, like "lawww.." haha. I got a kick out of her stomping her feet at her daughters making her get in the wheelchair at the hospital. She may be old, but she's fiesty!

Onto the surgery report...The mass was bigger than the doctor expected, and had drown out into the tissue behind the colon wall. It was headed for the pancreas. Thankfully he was able to clear it out and still have a safe margin of healthy tissue between the pancreas and colon. He would have been in BIG BIG trouble if this had gone any further. They were able to resect the colon and small intestine and only remove the right side (ascending) of his colon. He also removed the lymph nodes in that area and we will know more about chemo once the pathology comes back at the end of the week. He was awake today, just constantly pushing his pain pump and dreading the news that he will have to stand up today. Thank you to all of my friends and family that have been praying for us, and please continue to do so! He has a long road to recovery ahead of him.

To the followers that I don't know personally- I will be back to craft and food blogging soon! I've been sidetracked by this family emergency. I look forward to getting my hands dirty again! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment