Tuesday, September 7, 2010

{Taco Tuesday} Chicken tacos!

Today is {Taco Tuesday} for the Baeza family. Tonight I made my famous Chicken tacos. I can say they're famous because my mother in law, who has eaten more tacos than anyone I know, LOVES them! Here are the basics, all prepped and ready to go: tomatoes, lettace, red cabbage, and monterey jack cheese. I also put out a couple of different salsas. You could add whatever you like....avocados, etc.
Ok, so this is what sets my tacos apart... the chicken method! I like Las Palmas tacos, and this is based on me trying to make their food at home. Unfortunately it ruined Las Palmas for me because mine are actually better and I can't stomach their chicken anymore. (I think they boil it! gasp!) Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Get out a standard rimmed cookie sheet, and use bone in chicken breasts. Leave the skin on, don't worry, you're not gonna eat it. It makes your chicken so much more moist and flavorful. All you have to do to the chicken is a few drops, the lightest drizzle, of EVOO and top with coarse salt and cracked pepper. That's it, toss it in the oven and set the timer for exactly ONE HOUR. When the hour is up, take out the pan and leave the chicken on the bone until you are ready to assemble. It will get cold too quickly if you take it off the bone too far in advance. If you are not using the large, bone in chicken, then you will need to alter your cooking time or you will have dry chicken. When you split into the chicken, there should be clear juice running out, and plenty of it...if not, it's overcooked!

After your chicken rests for 5 minutes, and when you're ready to eat, peel off the skin and discard. Cut off your chicken and then cut it up into small pieces.

When I eat chicken tacos, the only answer for me is CRISPY tortillas. Not the healthiest, I know, but sometimes you just can't substitute for flavor. Just keep telling yourself you are going to be loading it with healthy chicken and loads of veggies. ;)

Mmmm

I like to drain them like this, shaped like tents. That way when they harden, they won't be closed and unable to hold your goodies! =)

One last trick is I put the cheese on the very bottom of the shell, then top with the warm chicken, then veggies. When you do it this way, the cheese will slightly melt and it is so much more flavorful than cold! So, mine look slightly plain, but I can't handle heat {world's most sensitive and all-around terrible stomach, party of 1}, so I have no salsa.

He started with a warmed up corn tortilla before he hit the crispy ones, but his look more exciting than mine.... Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment