Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Free Shelf Re-Do

A couple of weeks ago I was given a free shelf. I'm not one to turn down free stuff...especially when my kids play room has been a disaster area and driving me crazy. Here it is after I started sanding it. It didn't sand very well because it's not solid wood. The front trim pieces are, so they were easy to sand, but the rest of it...not so easy. You can see where I tested spray paint on it to see what it would look like before I sanded it. It looked terrible so I knew I wasn't going to spray paint it.

I knocked out that one section that had plywood backing on it. I am thinking about getting a piece of bead board and covering the entire back of it to make it look more finished.
Sunday afternoon we painted it using a sprayer hooked up to my hubby's air compressor and some off white paint we had on hand. My hubby was a saint and did a second coat for me without me even asking! =)
I am also toying with the idea of covering all of the interior surfaces with a pretty patterned sticky paper. I was able to get rid of a broken filing cabinet and organize my files into the smaller filing boxes I bought yesterday: one for medical bills/records, one for our business papers, and the last one for our regular bills.
So, while I don't think I'm done with it, I'm thankful to be able to use it now that it's painted, and that it was FREE! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment