Friday, February 25, 2011

Ruffle Flower Wreath and Frame

UPDATE! I figured out what my wreath was missing! I bought this little bird ornament from Hobby Lobby a couple of weeks ago, but didn't know what I was gonna do with it. I looks perfect in my wreath!
It is really pale plue and cream damask print.
NOW it's perfect!

Last week I got a GREAT deal on this whitewashed frame....it was $2! Have I ever mentioned I love Rescued Treasures? Cause I do!My friend, Crafty Christi {I wonder if my friends like or hate that I give them all crafty names when I talk about them on my blog}, showed me this post over at Little Birdie Secrets. This wreath is different, but loosely based on that. I liked making the ruffle flowers so I did them all the same instead of 3 types.
I used an old sheet {back from when I didn't know that KING IS DIFFERENT THAN CAL KING!} that is too small for our bed. To save myself some ruffle making, I noticed that the gathered edge looks suspiciously like a ruffle.
I cut a few inches deep, around the entire edge of the sheet. Then cut them into sections, depending on how big I needed the flowers.

Here it is...a RARELY found perfectly whitewashed and distressed frame for 8 quarters! I used an exacto blade to cut a scrap of cardboard to be my wreath base.You'll never see it.

This is what it looked like on the bottom, after hot glueing as I rolled.
After I ran out of edges, I cut strips of the fabric and made my own ruffles, by stitching down one {don't backstitch} edge and then gathering them. Using the edges of the sheet just saved me from this step for about half of the flowers for this size wreath.

Voila! I tied it with a few layers of jute and hot glued it to the back of the frame. I LOVE it! Not bad for recycled fabric and 8 quarters!

Linking to Tatertots and Jello weekend wrap up party and Crazy Domestic

3 comments:

  1. So pretty! Love how it turned out:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love how you hung it inside this frame! It really gives it a different look. :-)

    ReplyDelete