Monday, June 21, 2010

Manly appetizers in honor of Father's Day

Yesterday we hosted the family for a Father's Day bbq, and since it is a day for the men, I tried to make a couple of things they would (hopefully) really like. I decided on bbq jalapeno poppers and stuffed mushrooms. I have to be honest, I can't handle heat at all, I'm a white girl from Ohio who grew up on fried chicken, not salsa. My 10 year California conversion has changed a LOT about my taste buds, but the heat level...not so much. I took one bite and went rushing for the water! I can't handle these, but my family can, the whole platter was empty shortly after this picture was taken.PW's recipe calls for: jalapenos, 1 pkg. cream cheese, 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, 1 green onion, and bacon cut in half. You simply cut the peppers in half, scrape out the seeds and ribs and stuff with the cheese/onion mixture, then wrap with raw bacon and secure with a toothpick. Brush with a dab of your favorite bbq sauce. Bake at 275 for 1 hour (according to her directions, but I turned up the heat the last 15 minutes because the bacon didn't look crisp enough for me)
My stuffed mushrooms were born from an anniversary trip to our wedding resort, Ragged Point. Brandon and I ordered stuffed mushrooms and they were to die for! I tried to recreate them based on the flavors I could identify. Simply shred monterey jack cheese, add fresh garlic, finely chopped rosemary, and flat leaf parsley, stir together. Rinse off your BROWN mushrooms and remove the stems. The bigger the mushrooms the better (the more yummy goodness they'll fit!). I took a picture of my prep work but forgot to take an "after" picture. When ready to bake, I removed the paper towel, and put a little EVOO on the pan, under the mushrooms. Bake at 350 till the cheese is melted, and then turn on the broiler to slightly brown the cheese.

1 comment: