Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Bruschetta


Italian pronunciation: [brusˈketta]. All around wonderfully tasty! As I type this, my ingredients are introducing themselves to each other, and becoming close friends. That is one of the many things I love about this...it gets better with time. It could not possibly be simpler!
Ingredients: (for about 2 people)
Tomatoes- depending on their size...3 large RED tomatoes
**disclaimer** I am not responsible for the outcome of your bruschetta if you use tomatoes that are not RED, RIPE and JUICY! Don't do it! You will regret it! I have never met a pink or orange tomato that is my friend, and you won't either! =)
1 large clove garlic, pressed
4-5 large fresh basil leaves, chopped or torn
1-2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar (invest in a good one, the bottle will last a LONG time if you refrigerate it)
3-4 Tbsp good Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Fresh ground pepper (adjust your grinder to the coarse setting)
kosher salt

Simply mix all of the ingredients together (including the juice that leaks out of the tomatoes when you cut them!) in a bowl and try to wait at least an hour or so before you eat it so that the flavors can meet and fall in love. =)

Slice a baquette up and lightly toast the slices in a single layer in the oven. Spoon up on to the bread as you eat it so that your bread doesn't get soggy with all those wonderful juices.

1 comment:

  1. I am so excited that you posted this!!! I was just going to look up a recipe for it. And, can I add, that refridgerating the vinegar is the key to long-lasting goodness, like you said. I did not do so...

    ReplyDelete