Monday, October 18, 2010

Caramel Apples!

I had a few more pictures, but blogger isn't cooperating right now so I will make do with what I managed to post! I have been dying to make caramel apples since LAST fall when I made them! For some reason every time I would go to the store I would remember one thing and forget something else that could not be missing! Get the apples, forgot the peanuts. Get the peanuts, forget the marshmallows. Finally I have all my ingredients!Start out by putting your toppings in a coffee filter. I chopped up plain unsalted peanuts and put them in a filter. The toppings are endless and I want to try making some fancy ones someday...with chopped up snickers, etc. Line a cookie sheet with wax paper, and spray with non-stick cooking spray! Wash off your apples and dry them. Insert a craft stick, popsicle stick, white dowel sucker sticks-whichever you chose.
In a saucepan, on medium-low heat melt 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter. Add 1 cup of brown sugar and 1/4 cup light corn syrup. Stir well and keep stirring until it comes to a boil (don't turn up the heat past medium). After it starts boiling, stir it for 5 minutes constantly.

Your kitchen will smell really yummy! Swirl your apples in the caramel, working quickly before it sets. Add each apples toppings as you go. I went straight from the caramel to my coffee filter filled with nuts, and then put on the pan.

Let me tell you...don't try another caramel recipe unless you know it works. I tried a different recipe and it didn't work at all. This recipe worked great!
I wanted to show you the apple in the back of the picture, because I didn't work fast enough and the last of the caramel in the pan had already started to dry. So I just poured it on top. =) It'll still taste good, just doesn't look as pretty as the others.
Put the pan in the fridge for an hour. Last year I thought I could get away with skipping this step...I was wrong! If you want all of your caramel and toppings to fall off, by all means don't put them in the fridge! =)
After they hardened in the fridge, I thought I would add some melted chocolate to a couple of them and some candy corn. The kids love candy corn, so I thought I'd give it a try. Whatever your topping combination, I am sure they'll be wonderful!


1 comment:

  1. looks yummy! i made a caramel apple too this week, mine is sugar free version. visiting from love stitched!

    ReplyDelete