Monday, October 18, 2010

1 Package of Chicken {3 meals!}

I usually don't post food that doesn't look "pretty", but I was just so excited that I made 3 meals with ONE package of chicken that I had to share! Waste not, want not, right? Let me show you what I was able to do with one $6.50 package of bone-in chicken breasts. I run you through my tried and true juicy chicken cooking method here, back at my Chicken Tacos post. I ALWAYS make my chicken for recipes like this because when you cut into it, the clear juice literally sprays out at me! I am so anti-dry chicken it's not even funny. Ok, so here we go...three meals! I made Chicken Enchiladas (known to my friends as Mopschiladas, because we made them as an activity at MOPS last year), Chicken Tacos for lunch on the chicken prep day, and Chicken and Broccoli Cassarole. All I needed were a few staples that I always keep on hand: green enchilada sauce, cheddar cheese, tortillas, sour cream, frozen broccoli, box of stove top, can of cream of chicken soup, lettace, jack cheese.
To make the enchiladas, just shred your cooked chicken (I used two BIG chicken breasts) and put it in a bowl with about 1 1/2 of the enchilada sauce, 1/2 to 3/4 cup sour cream and a cup of cheddar cheese. Stir it all up. Told ya it's not a "pretty" recipe, but it suuuure tastes good! The original recipe calls for green onions but my husband said it's not traditional, and asked me to omit them the second time I made them, we both like them better without the green onions. Gotta trust the latino hubby I guess! =)

This could not be easier...Add half of the remaining sauce into your baking dish. That will be your "pool" where you will dip your tortillas to cover both sides in sauce.

After you dip them, spoon some of the chicken mixture in and roll it up.

I am anti -dishes so I still use the skinny pool as I'm filling the pan because I don't want to dirty another dish just to dunk tortillas!
Fill it up!

Roll it up!

Top with extra cheddar! Bake at 375 uncovered, until it's hot and bubbly! Yum!
Dinner #2 reminds me of my old roomies before I was married. {Hello Jani and Summer!} We only cooked about 2 different meals and this was one of them! The first thing you'll probably notice is I used a foil pan, and honestly if I had foil pans the day before, I would have used them for the enchiladas too... did I mention I hate dishes?? Well I hate dishes SO bad, that my care for my carbon footprint goes right out the window! Cleaning cassarole dishes are my pet peeve! Anyway, the recipe... On the chicken prep day, store two chicken breasts in tupperware (or ziploc-even less dishes! I know, I'm obsessed!) without shredding them. They will keep more of their juice when refrigerating if you keep them whole and shred them the next day. The other option would be to prep both dishes the same day and stick the whole pan in the fridge. I would have done that but I was out of stove top. So, all you need to do is shred your chicken, steam broccoli and add to pan. Mix 1 can cream of chicken soup with milk (about 1 to 1 1/2 cups) and whisk it together, no need to heat, and then pour over the chicken and broccoli. Add salt and pepper. Top with your already cooked stove top. Bake at 350 for about 25 minutes, covered with foil.
The third meal I made was chicken tacos on the prep day! I needed lunch, and I had one extra chicken breast! It's not often that I get a hot lunch, sometimes I don't even eat lunch at all. If you would like to see what they look like, click on the link at the top of this post. There you go, 3 meals out of ONE pacakage of chicken! Desperate times call for desperate measures! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment