Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Pumpkin Spritz Cookies!

Today I remembered that I have a pumpkin disk for my cookie press! Woo hoo! I whipped up some spritz cookie dough even though I usually only make them at Christmas time, with trees. I must say...these aren't everyone's favorite cookies, but they hold a special place in my heart. I've made spritz cookies since I was old enough to have a memory! They are pretty plain, and in my opinion, need to be eaten when they are COMPLETELY cool...but I love them!
My family recipe: Spritz Cookies
1 cup margarine or butter
1 tsp vanilla
2/3 cup sugar
2 eggs
2 1/2 cup flour
Mix softened margarine or butter {note: I have always used marg. for this recipe but today I used butter because I don't buy marg. as a rule...everything's better with butter, right? Wrong! I can't believe I'm saying this but they have more flavor when you use margarine} with sugar and vanilla until well combined. Add eggs, mix well. Add flour gradually.
I used Wilton's orange coloring.

Just use a toothpick and put a dollop in the mixer, mix until you get your desired shade.

This is my Pampered Chef cookie press. Actually I think it's my mom's that she brought out in her suitcase one Christmas and she forgot to take home. =)

Here it is fitted with the pumpkin disk.

Here is the set and all of the other disk shapes. This is the best cookie press I've ever used, in all my 28 years! If you've made this type of cookie before, you know that sometimes they can be tempermental.
Use UNgreased cookie sheets (or they won't stick and you will go mad! Mad, I tell you!)
Heat your oven to 400 degrees
Follow the directions for your cookie press, if you're having trouble with the dough, try sticking it in the fridge for a bit.
Top with sprinkles! I must say...as I was pressing these, I couldn't help but think that I was making cookies out of sweet potato baby food, that's exactly what it looked like.

Bake for 8-11 minutes, depending on your oven. The bottoms should be slightly brown. Cool completely before eating. =)

1 comment:

  1. These would also be cute with the plain white dough, topped with the orange sugar cystals instead of sprinkles!

    ReplyDelete