Thursday, August 12, 2010

DIY clutch purse

So I bought this bare, large "coin purse" at JoAnns a couple of weeks ago. I had my eyes open for them for awhile. They had 3 colors I think and I got it on sale for less than $5. Now what to do with it? Hence, the waiting two weeks to do anything.... I saw a really cute one in a store in San Francisco but I honestly don't even remember what it looks like at this point. I talked to Joy and she said it was a BIG flower on each side. I couldn't wrap my mind around trying that with nothing to look at for reference, so I decided on ruffles. Here is a strip of t-shirt material I cut.
Here is the plain jane, waiting to be decorated.

I simply sewed a single stitch through the center of the strips (don't backstitch).


I tied one end of the strings in a knot. Then with the opposite end, I held ONE of the threads and pulled the fabric down into a ruffle.

I just laid them across the purse as I went to judge how much to "ruffle".

Super simple!

I didn't have any black fabric so I found an old oversized tank top that I don't like any more to cut up.

I used a hot glue gun to glue the ruffles on the front. Three rows of ruffles did it for this size purse. I like that the top is still tan. I laid another ruffle on the top, but didn't like it as much. Repeat to make the back match the front.

So, of course that wasn't enough for me. I wanted to add white to the purse. I just freehanded a rough circle out of white muslin , hot glued and kinda bunched it up a little, then did two layers of white tulle, then another (smaller) muslin circle, then more tulle, then a black detailed button.

No comments:

Post a Comment