Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Polynesian Flank Steak

I have a fantastic beef marinade to share with you! I made this up last year sometime, trying to match something I had eaten. I didn't match it, but I think I actually improved on it! Flank steak is a cut of meat that you have to know how to properly prepare or it will be tough and not tasty. I marinade my meat as soon as I wake up, or the night before and stick it in the fridge.

Ingredients: flank steak, 1/2 bunch green onions, 1 lime juiced, 1/4-1/2 cup soy sauce, ginger (I keep a tube of ginger paste in my fridge so that I don't have to peel it, cut it, etc. but you can certainly buy fresh), garlic (minced, crushed or pressed), 1 medium size can crushed pineapple, freshly ground pepper.

Directions: Mix all ingredients in a gallon size ziploc bag, swish around to combine before adding the meat. Marinate at least a few hours. The acid in the lime juice will help tenderize this cut of meat.

Grill on a hot grill or grill pan. This cut is best cooked medium, pink in the center. Let it rest on a cutting board for 5 minutes, then cut across the grain of the meat into thin strips. It is very important to cut across the grain! (In case you don't know you HAVE to do this with tri-tip too or it won't taste nearly as good as it should! You'll thank me later if you didn't already know that)

No comments:

Post a Comment