Monday, August 9, 2010

Falling for Autumn!

It's killing me, yes, literally killing me not to blog! I haven't had much to blog about since all of my time has been occupied by party planning lately. SO I thought I would give you a blast from the past (before I had a blog) on my fall party. I LOVED this party, and I think I may try to do it again. I didn't get everything the way I wanted it, but I worked with what I had and the kids had a blast. Here are the pics and links in case you'd like to plan a fall party of your own. =)Where the food will be. This is what it looked like prepped...mulled apple cider stayed at perfect temp in the crock pot! Goodie bags with pumpkin-themed treats! I can't remember everything that was in them but I do remember printing out free pumpkin coloring pages. I bought a package of fall scrapbook paper in the $1 section at Target and made paper cones for the popcorn with double sided tape. There is a huge container of salted caramel popcorn
This is the caramel apple station I set up on the patio. Apples, sticks, coffee filters, tray lined with wax paper, fall sprinkles, chocolate chips and peanut butter chips.
Caramel Apples
-apples (makes 8)
-wooden craft sticks
-1 1/2 TBSP. butter
-1 1/2 TBSP. light brown sugar
-6 TBSP. water
-Canola oil spray
In a medium saucepan, melt butter. Add brown sugar and water, stirring constantly until smooth. Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes, until mixture is thin and sticky. Remove from heat. Insert stick into bottom of apple. Switl each apple in caramel until coated, then roll in candy or sprinkles (I gave each kid a coffee filter for them to first put their toppings in and then they could roll their apple in their coffee filter). Place apples on a cookie sheet covered with wax paper and coated with canola oil spray. Refrigerate for at least one hour before serving. (I thought I could skip the fridge part and sadly, I was mistaken! )
Waiting their turn...


I should have had chopped peanuts as well but I wasn't thinking!


The girls' pink sandbox was a hit!

Next up we played a game called "Doughnuts on a string". You can't imagine how hilarious it is to tie a doughnut to a string and watch little kids try to eat it with their arms behind their backs! Do it! Even if it's just your kids and there is no party...it's hilarious!

They do get a little frustrated trying to take those bites because they want it so badly!

Eventually we let them use their hands...when they just couldn't take it anymore.


I don't have a picture of it, but we also played squash bowling and pin the face on the pumpkin. I got those ideas from Martha Stewart so you can check them out if you click on the links.

2 comments:

  1. This is just truly precious! You can't go wrong with carmel apples! How fun! I'm happy to be your newest follower and would love to have you as a friend at FrouFrou Decor! I would also like to invite you to link up your sweet creations to my weekly Fabulous Friday Finds party! Hope to see you there!
    Hugs,
    ~Terrell @ FrouFrou Decor~

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun party! I love that doughnut game...it cracks me up!

    ReplyDelete